Sunday, February 24, 2008

Life on Six Meters

So many times I hear folks say that there is nothing on six meters. Yesterday afternoon (2/23) I had a chance to work some real ground wave on 50.125 USB. I worked NØBZM in Stockton, MO followed by KG5MD in Midway, AR. Then I caught NØKO in Vanzant, MO, KØVUW in Barnhart, MO (near St. Louis) and KØCIY in Parkhill, OK (NE of Muskogee). It was all ground wave (no e-skip). Just goes to show that 6m with a modest setup will do the job. Most of these folks were running setups similar to mine. The one exception was KØVUW. He was running 1500W into a six element beam at 100 feet, but again that was the exception. This afternoon was some of the most enjoyable I have had on ham radio. What a treat it was to chat with folks around the area on 6m. So, for those that wonder if there is life on six or if there is anyone out there, there is.

Jeff / KCØVGC

No comments: